Splinter Schools

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
RobMac

Splinter Schools

Postby RobMac » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:07 pm

As some of you may be aware there is a splinter school of St James.
It was set up and is being run by senior SES members and allures to links to St James and SES however there is nothing from the SES or St James side linking back to this school.

I do not believe that this will be the only school and I dare not imagine the motivation behind establishing other schools with these invisible links.

If anyone can provide any additional information I would be very grateful.

If you do not wish to respond in the forum please email me privately at robmacleod@hotmail.com.

Daffy

Re: Splinter Schools

Postby Daffy » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Do you have any more information? What's it called, where is it based, what ages and sexes does it cover, who runs it, who works for it, etc etc?

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:24 am

In other words, people from the SES have started a school just like St. James but are hiding any connection with the SES?

It has the same sort of curriculum?

Is it near the current schools or in a new city?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 am

All I've heard is that its in Manchester, N/W England, and its owned and run by SES members.

RobMac

Postby RobMac » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:30 pm

I raised the issue of the splinter schools as part of my submission to the inquiry.
The Chairman seemed more than a little concerned and has asked me to find out what I can.

Any and all information will be very gratefully received and passed on to the Chairman of the inquiry.

As long as sufficient information can be given to the inquiry on this subject, in particular whether they are being run in the same way that St James and Vedast were originally run, then then it is quiet reasonable for the Chairman to rule that they shoul be included in the investigation.

I believe that this could be a key issue to the outcome of the inquiry if it is discovered that SES have only changed there behaviour in relation to St James and St Vedast.
Last edited by RobMac on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobMac

Postby RobMac » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:46 pm

There are at least 13 schools worldwide so far

There is a SES organisation related to the establishment of schools worldwide
http://www.education-renaissance-trust.org.uk

Splinter Schools discovered so far:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
St James School, Altrincham (North West UK) (may have now moved):-
This school is officially part of the London St James Schools and the
Independent Educational Association Ltd the charity SES use to run the schools . Formally approved by the Governors of the St James Schools in London.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North West Independent Schools Association Ltd
Address: 34 CONGLETON ROAD, ALDERLEY EDGE, CHESHIRE, SK9 7AB
Type: Incorporated
Incorporation Date: 18-01-2002
Independent: Yes
Last Accounts Filed: -
Last Accounts Analysed: 31-03-2003
The Alcuin School, Leeds (North West UK)
Address: 64 Woodland Lane, Leeds, LS7 4PD
http://www.alcuinschool.co.uk/
St James School, Johannesburg
St James School, Durban
http://www.stjamesschooldurban.co.za/contact.html
John Scottus School, Dublin
http://www.johnscottus.ie/
Philosophy Day School, New York
http://www.abrahamlincolnschool.org/
John Colet School, Sydney
http://johncolet.nsw.edu.au/
Erasmus School, Melbourne
http://www.erasmus.vic.edu.au/
Ficino School, Auckland
http://www.ficino.school.nz/
San Fernando (Renaissance), Trinidad
Auburn House, Cape Town
Toronto
A new school is to open soon
Last edited by RobMac on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

xmember

ficino school

Postby xmember » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:31 pm

the Ficinio school was set up very specificy to echo the St James model, and it indistinguishable from the SOP as being part of the overall organisation.

I liked this quote from the ERT website:

"Despite this variety, the mark of the day was unity. All present were brought together by the desire to teach from true authority and fully nourish the children in their care."

...true authority?

Growing up in the SOP, there were virtually no qualified teachers in charge of the children. It is what made the whole experience so frightening: the very powerful, and very frightening personalities in charge of us...

I understand that there are some independent qualified teachers at Ficino now, but that some are SOP members with some teaching qualifications.
NZ ex member 16yrs (age 1-16)

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 pm

[I have removed this post on request]
Last edited by Tom Grubb on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free

Postby Free » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:44 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:53 am

Oh boy, those last two posts brought back some memories!

ET

Postby ET » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:29 am

Well! If this child was chanting things like "perfect is perfect etc" (something I learned and chanted in the late 70s/early 80s) as recently as 2005, then it rather puts paid to the SES assertion that things have changed, and they don't teach/do any of that any more. It seems unlikely that the Australian schools would be using outdated methods if the London schools have moved on, so one can reasonably assume that the London schools are the same as they ever were.

It's so frustrating to think that they are most likely still filling childrens' heads with this rubbish, and, more seriously, that the "climate of fear" still exists in the schools as well.

There must be more we can do!
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Yes, there must be more we can do!

Meanwhile, St James is starting up a school in Durban, South Africa: http://www.stjamesschooldurban.co.za/contact.html

Free

Postby Free » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:32 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ConcernedMum

Postby ConcernedMum » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks Tom for posting that - as someone who has removed my son from the John Scottus school in Dublin this year, I can relate to almost every part of that letter from the parent with the child in the School of Economic Science school in Australia. Since he's moved to a local school I feel I have got my lovely caring normal 5 year old son back instead of the stressed-out aggressive losing-his-natural-sense-of-empathy little boy he was while in that awful dreadful school. The atmosphere in the new school is so much more welcoming and happy as well. What can we do about this? It seems outrageous that its left to individual parents to keep finding the profound misrepresentation of these schools out for themselves over and over again. What about a seperate website? What does anyone else think? - there are lots of parents on this site who have been through the same thing.

sugarloaf

Postby sugarloaf » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:38 pm

I think a website is an excellent idea - throughout the decades the only thing that seems to have a reforming effect on the schools and SES is negative publicity - or rather - the truth being disclosed. They hate it!

I was shocked by some of the what I heard from parents at the current junior school, during buildup to the inquiry - and as far as I know they have not made their experiences public.

As a pupil from over 2 decades ago, and having put considerable effort into the inquiry, I feel in some ways I've made my useful contribution - but a website/chatsite setup by current/recent parents, dedicated to the current schools around the world would be an excellent idea - and not that difficult to set up.

Return to “General discussion of SES”