TIME FOR A FULL S.E.S. INQUIRY

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.

Should the St James Inquiry be extended to the whole SES?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 33

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:02 pm

Good idea, Keir!

I think the sunny-side up eggs and hot dog in a bun should be the official "CRAZY" smilie, don't you?

ross nolan

but by whom?

Postby ross nolan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Who to conduct an enquiry? Depends to some extent what you are looking for.

SES and the schools seem to shelter under some charitable status -- this does not seem legitimate -- govt enquiry ?

Would there be an ecumenical religious body that would be interested to look into it's religious nature whilst purporting to be secular ?

Is there no individual who might 'sponsor' an enquiry not unlike the SES 'hiring' Townend ? -- such a thing could possibly be conducted very largely on the net and/or via video conferencing at relatively low cost.

Simple legal action for compensation or other purposes -- the inevitability of testimony coming to the fore will likely result in a snowballing exposure and both be 'self funding' and 'put an end ' to the problem by liquidating the organization.

More serious suggestions would help. (Do you have an ombudsman or equivalent in England ? -- legal aid, contingency fees, class actions, )

Ross.
Skeptic

ET

Postby ET » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:45 pm

In a follow up to JC's post, I would just like to report that, after informing our parents of our involvement in the inquiry (I am JC's sister), our mother decided off her own bat to finally inform her SES relatives of our involvement in the inquiry, finally being open about how much we suffered (up until now, we assumed that they thought we were happy there). We have been surprised to learn that, of this couple we told, the woman had already guessed that we had not been happy, and although she still wishes to remain faithful to the SES teachings (something that she has believed in for nigh-on 40 years), she feels that both she and her husband should be made aware of what really happened to us, and is encouraging us to be open about everything. We haven't heard her husband's reaction yet!
It's hard to describe what an incredible experience this is for our family, after so many, many years of having this large skeleton in the cupboard. It is causing some stress, but speaking entirely for myself I have to say that I feel quite relieved.
This would not have been possible without this BB and the inquiry, and I also want to say how incredibly proud I am of my mother, who went through hell herself, and has been incredibly brave with this disclosure.
I second my sister's calls for a full SES inquiry, although I also agree that it is difficult to know who could carry this out, and I do think it's unlikely to happen. Mind you, I would have said that about what is happening now in my family only a few weeks ago, so you never know!

ET

Postby ET » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:52 pm

Interestingly, it appears that our SES relatives were told that us "hardened activisits" on here are after money (in compensation I assume). Another example of the "spin" the SES is putting on all this within it's own organisation, and proof (if proof were needed) that they lie consistently to their members with apparently no qualms at all. Incredible! As if any amount of money can compensate the loss of a childhood.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:12 pm

Interestingly, it appears that our SES relatives were told that us "hardened activisits" on here are after money

That is the SAME reason John Howard gives for not apologising to Aboriginal Australians for the 'stolen generations'.

Alban

Postby Alban » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:06 am

Let me state for the record that I have no intention of claiming compensation.

If the schools did have a sudden change of heart (yeah right) and decide to try to make ammends financially for the suffering they caused then I think any money should go to a real charity such as Children in Need.

Alban

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:57 am

ET wrote:Interestingly, it appears that our SES relatives were told that us "hardened activisits" on here are after money (in compensation I assume). Another example of the "spin" the SES is putting on all this within it's own organisation, and proof (if proof were needed) that they lie consistently to their members with apparently no qualms at all. Incredible! As if any amount of money can compensate the loss of a childhood.

ET, this is very interesting. I'd love to know what other disfinformation the SES is putting out about the people they abused. Perhaps a new thread could be started. Current parents, feel free to contribute!

I totally agree with Alban's position regarding compensation.

bella

Postby bella » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:24 pm

"I'd love to know what other disinformation the SES is putting out about the people they abused."

Keep in mind you're dealing with individuals here, and they are dealing with individuals' misinformed and often ignorant perspectives on this stuff. There's continual reference to something that should apologise, and something that should acknowledge past problems. Call them ignorant, sure. Calling the organisation ignorant is attributing the power of conscience to an organisation that doesn't have it, per se. "Muslim Jihad" as an entity, doesn't kill people. I imagine if the SES was to make a statement on these matters as an entity, you'd be aware of it, as is the case with Townend's report. Until then, you're dealing with a mix of people like you'd find in the street - some reasonable and willing to listen, some verbose and full of bluster.

Good luck in getting apologies from the people who owe them - I mean that sincerely - but breaking the back of the org isn't going to give you satisfaction.

ross nolan

misrepresenting compensation

Postby ross nolan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:22 pm

References to "hardened activists" and denigration of compensation might need to be corrected.

Under law most sporting or cultural ,non profit etc bodies that sometimes accumulate considerable assetts cannot be 'taken over' by any individual or group and/or 'stripped' for their benefit .

In the event of winding up the assetts are distributed to either a similar sort of organization which is bona fide or returned to general state revenue (resumed) .

Thus no individual can profit from the wind up or take over of a tax exempt or charitable or mutual organization -- to imply that someone trying to end a bad organization is doing so for personal profit is thus quite wrong and mischievous.

Compensation for victims of abuse is perfectly justifiable and should come from the assetts of a body that has carried out the abuse (the primary cause rather than from government coffers )

I would not benefit from any compensation or liquidation .
Skeptic

Witness

Back after a long break from this board.

Postby Witness » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 pm

Dear all,

Back after a break of many months from this board, due to all kinds of things that kept busy. Delighted to be back and to see the progress!

Those of you who remember me from over a year ago - congratulations for keeping at it and amazed at the Channel 4 "success" of sorts.

You may recall I was one of the people lucky enough to have avoided St James despite being in an SES family, and I was calling for a closer look at the whole SES after the St James investigation.

So my first question: Was there/ is there a follow up by Channel 4, looking at the SES as a whole?

Leontius

Write the script

Postby Leontius » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:21 am

Why doesn't someone write a script?

Trawl the boards, invite whistle-blowers, talk to members past and present - the more antagonistic the better - and, hey presto, some great TV.

Sensationalise it a bit with some contemporary social relevance - the dangers of eccentric Faith Schools sneaking past the watchdog etc. Focus on the New "city academy" partnership scheme: a working example of what can happen if you let a bunch of nutters with tons of cash start a school etc.

Call it "Faith schools from Hell" or "When Faith Schools go bad" or something. Channel Five will definitely take it with a name like that.

I can see the opening shot right now: A broken pot on a potter's wheel, overlaid with David's wonderful phrase - "The fist of love, and the iron fist of discipline" - with plenty of reverb. Ok I know he didn't say that but it would be a good hook right? Totally rajasic but, y'know, live a little.

Someone somewhere is waiting to make this film!

Leontius

Return to “St James and St Vedast”