Our Campaign against urs, Parents THIS is what u want 2 hear

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Hiya Parent,

I hope I can shedd some light on your questions,
You may well aske the heads for this information but I believe that it is bound by the data protection act (something that we studied in ICT) therfore they would not legally be able to provide you with names, dates, reasons and so on. You would have to go about this another way, mind you its always worth a go!

Secondly, re the foundation group and us 6th formers....
Could I also be given an accurate statistic of how many 6th formers are "offered"a place into the foundation course ? how many decline? and how many accept?

Offered is the correct word here as I have been in 6th form for 2 years already, I have seen 3 age groups be able to join, In my first year in Lwr 6th, there must have been about 40 of us Lower 6th ALONE. Out of all us only about 10 joined. This remained the number, a few left, untill summer '05 when they all left school. Recently, the new lower 6th has been invited to join the group, and only about 4 have taken this up. Thats 4 out of about 30. From the current upper 6th there are none I can think of, oh actually just 2 or so.
Hope this was of some use. It is an open invitation that only gets asked once, if you want to then you can, if you dont then thats just as good. Before any other readers of this post assume that it limits your oppertunities in the school if you are not a memebr of the SES, then let me tell you, there are 4 head boys, none of them including myself are members of the SES. (I was though in winter'04-summer'05)

Sam xox

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

parent

Postby parent » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:05 pm

That is very helpful Sam. Many thanks for your courtesy and openness.

A fellow parent however, is in possession of 3 letters inviting thier son into the foundation course. The parent refused twice, but the letters kept coming.

Must have been a "one-off", I guess.

Thanks again.

The O

To All Parents

Postby The O » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Good afternoon,
I'm here because people are misrepresenting our school. (Note: St James Pupil, this is how you spell our, not "are") I am currently in the St James' 6th Form, Year 12, it is brilliant. Not only are there no savage beatings or barbaric canings, but I get along with all of the teachers. There is not one that I can say that I could not possibly get along with. They are good and honest people, and the standard of teaching is very high. We now have women teachers under the age of 30, in fact my first teacher at St James was a lovely lady and now has 2 beautiful children, and her assistant was also a lady that I got on with very well and, she married a man that was in the very first class of St James and was head boy in St James. The women in St James Senior Boys School play a major role in the school, Mrs Lacey is a leader in the senior management team, Mrs Davids is a young lady who is deputy head of the Maths Department, she is respected by all, the head of Judo is a lady, the Head of French is a lady, The Heads of English are both women, they are all reasonable and honest people. None of the teachers would endanger a pupil or even harm them by their own reckless actions. The punishments are a hell of a lot less severe than the ones told by these ex-pupils, even lines have been abolished, there is no early morning circuit training, even a shower after rugby is no longer compulsory.

I have been in St James since I was 4 years old, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I stayed in St James until I was 10, and then left to go to a local school, because my parents saw the trip all the way to Twickenham was too long, (I live in Hampstead, behind Sarum Chase.) I was disappointed, but decided to get on with my life, I first went to a local, well reputed, state school, which I despised, and then to a local private school with the sole aim to get my 11+ exam to get into Highgate, I managed it, I almost aced both exams, with marks in the high 90's on both papers, I must say, this was not due to my new school, this was most definitely due to the St James education, but looking at the type of people that go to schools such as that are not the sort that I wanted to go to school with, or become. I told my parents that I wanted to go back to St James, they of course respected my wishes, and went to meet Mr Debenham . He welcomed me back to the school with open arms without even having to take an exam. By the time I was back in the school, at the age of 11, I was miles behind the class in every area, except in English. Eventually I managed to catch up, and was ranked in the higher end of the mid-table (a large drop to the top 5 I was experiencing before I left.) but still, I did well in my GCSEs and am now in 6th Form.

During my time in the Senior School I joined Cadets which I found great fun, I have travelled to Holland with the cadets, and done many challenges with them on British Army Training Areas, thoroughly enjoying them all. The cadets in non-compulsory and one may leave at will. The school also run various trips around the world, to Greece, to Florence, to the Alps, to Wales, to the Lake District, to France, to America, to Austria for Skiing (there is s new skiing club starting) To South Africa (on the Wilderness Trip) and they are also planning a trip to Peru to go climbing on the Andes.

I utterly sympathise with The St Vedast and early St James pupils, I completely understand that they are enraged about the way that they were treated, but they have to realise that the school is a completely different place now, and they cannot continue badmouthing and misrepresenting the school and the SES now. Joining the SES is completely optional, not even all of the teachers are in the SES these days, they are not brainwashed and neither are we. I admit that joined the SES because my friends were joining, but the truth is that we have a laugh, the tutor lets us choose what we wish to speak about, we don't even need to need to turn up every week, we go to the pub with the tutors after the group and talk about whatever we want. The SES is not a cult, despite many thinking that they have all the characteristics of one, they now adopt a take it or leave it policy with the material. The girls and boys in both the schools and the SES have many activities together, the school even organise parties for 6th form leavers. The school is a completely different place and has a completely different atmosphere, the facilities have improved and they do not try to "toughen us up" by brutal methods. The St James pupils are not brainwashed asexual puppet-like zombies. We have lives and the school understand that and do not condone out social lives. We have more friends outside of St James than in it. We along with the school have grown up.

Thank you for reading
Last edited by The O on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Gould

The O

Postby The O » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm

POST ON THE NEW TOPIC "How and Why St James is a very different Place"
See you there
Theo Gould

ST.James pupil

Postby ST.James pupil » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:42 pm

[quote]I just hope that you're man enough to put behind you what happened 31 years ago and make a fresh start.

I don't think it quite works that way Theo. If i had been abused I would want some answers. The fact that the school is different now doesn't excuse the fact that many ex-pupils have been abused. These people may never be able to live a normal life. So maybe you should be "man enough" to respect these ex-pupils wishes.
Last edited by ST.James pupil on Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The O

Postby The O » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Hey, soz, I edited that out just as u read it, I'm sorry, I'm not being inconsiderate or insensitive, It's just I hate it when people say things that aren't true about us, like we're brainwashed by the SES when they have near to no influence on the school
Theo Gould

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:51 pm

Lighten up, St James, or grievances will make you old before your time.

ST.James pupil

Postby ST.James pupil » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:48 pm

Lighten up, St James, or grievances will make you old before your time.

Lol!! I'm only 16, I just sympathise with with these ex-pupils and felt that wat Theo said was insensitive.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:54 pm

Hey 'St James Pupil'
Why the anonymity? What have been your experiences of the school so far, how long have you been in it, have you been else where? Lets hear some more from you.

Sam xox

parent

Postby parent » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:23 pm

How many of you have been told that you receive "superior" education or are part of a great renaissance?

What are your teachers views on Rock Music? Could you do a project on a Disco, for example and get your 95% SES staff to approve it?

And the women wear long skirts beacause....? and emotions are treated with a glazed look because.....? and friendships are encouraged because....? and what exactly is the view on disability?

WILDONE

Postby WILDONE » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Message to The O

Well done for standing up for your school and giving a true account of your current school life at St James.
Last edited by WILDONE on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Dear 'Parent'
How many of you have been told that you receive "superior" education or are part of a great renaissance?

Never in my 14 years at St James have I heard that in reference to my education. Pretty funny though!

What are your teacher?s views on Rock Music? Could you do a project on a Disco, for example and get your 95% SES staff to approve it?

Our teachers are safe! We are aloud to bring in instruments and at break times on many occasions I have been going round the class rooms and been invited in to jam with the boys on their guitars. (I have been playing for about 3 years now) As I posted earlier, to prove this general acceptance of variation, our music competitions hold a LARGE variety of music even under Mr. Debenham, it was more liberal. Drum Solos, guitar solos and 4 piece bands performed.
I have a little friend in Mr. Wray's class (he was my form teacher from 10-16) who is an avid EMINEM fan. He wrote an essay on 'music' or 'hobbies' anyway it was ALL about EMINEM. I was intrigued in exactly the same way as you are so I asked him what Mr. Wray said. I was surprised to learn that he accepted it in no problem, marked it and gave the wee man a good grade.

And the women wear long skirts because

We have had a variety of French teachers in the school, some ancient some young and I should say, very attractive. I guess the reasons for long skirts are, mind you they are not long, if that?s long, I'd LOVE TO SEE WHAT SHORT IS! Is to prevent the boys getting distracted I guess. Doesn?t stop us that is for sure! Hehehehe (no disrespect)

emotions are treated with a glazed look because

They are in no way suppressed or discouraged, infact, I can not think in 14 years on any occasion when I have been told off for crying or speaking out under current St James staff.

friendships are encouraged because....?

They are GREAT! And without friends the world would be a very different place. Just to give you an idea, we cheekily call 6th form, a 3 grand a term social club. Or how ever much it is.

and what exactly is the view on disability?

Ummmm no views expressed in school what so ever. We have a HUGE special needs/learning aid department with extensive care taken on an individual basis. At 7 every child is 'screened' for learning difficulties and any assistance is given. They even have a lift and full disabled access at Olympia.

Sam xox[/quote]
Last edited by Sam Hyde on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:49 pm

Hello Sam, good to hear from you and welcome. I've known your parents and grand-parents for many years.

I was wondering how you came to be elected head-boy. To what degree was it down to nepotism?

Also, why do you announce at the end of all your posts that you are "Laughing your arse off!!!!!"? Given the responsibility of your position, as well as the sensitive nature of the subject matters disscussed on this forum, do you think this gives off the right signals?

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:55 pm

Hiya matt, I have also known you for a long time, Carl included. I loved the time we spent in the country with your parents.

Anyway, when Boddy asked me to be head boy, I was unsure. I did not want to come up against any anti LH campaigns that I had endured as a boy throughout the early days at Twickenham. Boddy assured me I would not as all the staff supported his decision. I was still skeptical so decided to think about it. I also asked him why?......His response was, "Because you have balls, and if something needs to be said, you are the one to say it!" So I guess that confirms why I am here.
As for laughing my ass off, I am laughing at Mr. Boddy's catch phrase?. ?Balanced and Upright?
No harm intended, just a school joke!
Oh and nepotism???? Then explain the other 3 headboys who share my position!
Sam xox

ST.James pupil

Postby ST.James pupil » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:03 pm

I would like to remain anonamous so that I can speak my mind and not have the dissaprovals of the school and SES. Is that so wrong?

Return to “St James and St Vedast”