Our Campaign against urs, Parents THIS is what u want 2 hear

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Planet

Postby Planet » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Well I am the way I am. I have a tendancy for sarcasm. As to empathy I lost that at St James school years ago. Mostly my exterior outlook is as hard as nails. This protects me from ever suffering any deep offence. As to caning I'd just rather not talk about it or anything much else in detail at least not on here. As you know will know a victim of anything has the complex that they feel responsible. Unfortunately this does not help them.

Zathura

Postby Zathura » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:59 pm

Don't worry it was more in defense of myself than in out of antagonism with you xx

daska

Postby daska » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:03 pm

Zathura

Personally I'm very happy to have current pupils on the board and would urge them to stick with it and challenge our views and preconceptions - but with facts and logic.

However, having chosen to join a discussion on a board where there are many people who have obviously experienced varying degrees of pain and lasting problems and which, after all, has been established primarily for their benefit, then an 'I'm all right jack, sod you' attitude is plain insulting to those who have suffered.

I'm not aware that anyone here is expecting the current pupils to apologise for what happened, nor to feel sorry in any way that might imply that there is any guilt associated with them, or their experiences. But surely empathy could and should be expected.

For many people, including myself, this BB has proved a useful tool for overcoming emotional problems that stem from our upbringing in SES. I had no idea how much further I had to travel on my journey when I first posted here. You should understand that these matters are not the kind of things that can be easily discussed or shared with the majority of people we come upon in life, who, through no fault of their own, have no comprehension or understanding of what we have been through.

We have a right to challenge current pupils views and claims in the same way that they can challenge ours. Especially if we can cite facts and very recent first-hand experience that doesn't tally with what they claim, or which demonstrates that they are not aware of everything that goes on. If they give up in a sulk and announce that they've made up their minds rather than continuing to examine the issues and evidence, what are we supposed to think?

Zathura

Postby Zathura » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:14 pm

I'm not totally in agreement. To an extent. If 'sod you' is how they feel they should be allowed to express it. They are obviously pissed off that a bunch of people which from their view are 20 years behind the times are sending cameras journalists into their school and doing their best to f up the school in a completely vindictive way. If you can't dig the extremes of their behaviour can you dig the extremes of the 'militants'

I'm with the kids when it comes to their attitide. I like it it is fresh and it could sort out the emotional wallowers from the truly abused. I personally think most people are emotionally wallowing and exagerating to a degree. You can fit all the bad 'moments' in a ten year educational experience and come up with a sob story to beat all others but this is spin in itself. my feeling is the real issues are the IDEOLOGY. The ideological tension between THE WORLD and SES and the f..ed up sh.t that people have experienced because of this is the REAL DEMON that is fuelling this outrage. People are concentrating on the 'abuse' because of it's apparent legal weight. You can't sue them for fu...ing up your mind. But surely it is the Truth f..ck that most people have in the past been most fu..ed up by. That said I feel there are a core group of people that really were mistreated quite badly and an even smaller core that were genuinely abused.

This is my view. The kids have their view. For a site that is subversive mudslinging and very very vindictive for someone to be admonished for the same qualities only because the point in the opposite direction is WRONG.

ST.James pupil

HAhahahahaha

Postby ST.James pupil » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:03 pm

You think he's stupid, well he's are headboy! I feel my education is lost... O well. That's Sam btw.

mm-

Postby mm- » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Can assure you that the pause is still alive and kicking in the junior schools. Parent, MM, care to back me up on this.

Daska,

Can confirm this. Please see my other posts( I don't know whether Mike has fixed the problem ).

Pausing although seemingly nice at first continues and is more and more emphasised as the child progresses throughout the junior school. According to my eldest child pausing can take place as much as twenty four times in one day. It seems that as you progress through the school more and more pausing is practised. I may be wrong on this but perhaps it is done this way in order to prepare the child for the meditation he/she will do when they reach the age of 10.

I am told by a friend in the Senior Girls School that once they enter the Senior school, parents are invited to a meditation meeting held by the headmistress. During this meeting, parents are told that for those that wish and give their consent, a special mantra will be given to their daughters at the school of meditation in Holland Park. The girls have to bring along something white, some fruit, a week?s pocket money (if pocket money is given, if not a weeks worth of work on a special project will suffice). The girls are not allowed to tell their parents what this word is and are not allowed to enter the room with their child while this mantra is given.( I believe the word is Ram-please correct me if I am wrong). Meditation (where this mantra is repeated over and over again) then takes place every day for about 10 mins.

Pausing seems to be therefore, preparation for a more intense form of meditation.

daska

Re: HAhahahahaha

Postby daska » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:00 pm

ST.James pupil wrote:You think he's stupid, well he's are headboy! I feel my education is lost... O well. That's Sam btw.

Was this aimed at me? If it was then oh boy have you got me wrong! LOL

Sam is obviously not stupid - and he didn't specifically come to mind while I was writing my last post.

WILDONE

Postby WILDONE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:41 pm

ST James Pupil
You think he's stupid, well he's are headboy! I feel my education is lost... O well. That's Sam btw.

What is your current intent for posting replies, as you have not made any valuable contributions so far. More over I would urge you to actually read posts before you replied to them.
You seem very immature with your personal attacks. Get a grip on reality. What's the Head boy got to do with your education???

Zathura

Postby Zathura » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 pm

If MM didn't notice pausing or all the spiritual spiel (sexism not so obvious)
when she walked around the school before sending child there must have had eyes closed. Can't blame the school for that. You just didn't do your research. All the secret S.E.S SURE but PAUSING !! that's such a none topic. You should be concentrating on the sexism and TRUTH talk and hijaking of philosophy with PHILOSOPHY. Pausing!!! It's a non issue. It happens at beg and end of all classes. This is a central St James practise. They would not have hidden this surface thing from you

daska

Postby daska » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Sam Hyde wrote:The other thing is that across the spectrum, the pause is dissolving into nothing. Many of our lessons do not begin with it, in my last few academic years the onus has been on just getting on with the lesson. At lunches, it is a travesty! Lol the boys sit down and start eating before the pause has even finished! NO ONE CARES!

daska wrote:Can assure you that the pause is still alive and kicking in the junior schools. Parent, MM, care to back me up on this.

mm wrote: Daska, Can confirm this. Please see my other posts. Pausing although seemingly nice at first continues and is more and more emphasised as the child progresses throughout the junior school.

Zathura wrote:If MM didn't notice pausing or all the spiritual spiel (sexism not so obvious)
when she walked around the school before sending child there must have had eyes closed. Can't blame the school for that. You just didn't do your research. All the secret S.E.S SURE but PAUSING !! that's such a none topic. You should be concentrating on the sexism and TRUTH talk and hijaking of philosophy with PHILOSOPHY. Pausing!!! It's a non issue. It happens at beg and end of all classes. This is a central St James practise. They would not have hidden this surface thing from you

Zathura, she didn?t say she didn?t know about it, just that it becomes more emphasised...!

As it happens I agree with you, I think it is a lesser issue. Far more concerned about the abuse.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:27 pm

mm, daska,

According to my eldest child pausing can take place as much as twenty four times in one day.

This can be highly likely if your child partakes in 12 school sessions, lessons, assembly, lunch.......a day. Again, I stress that at the age when you start to form your own ideas, as they say in group 'take it or leave it'. This is a bit of a dead-end but I jsut thought I would add a few words.
Secondly thankyou for supporting me against the childish intervention of St James Pupil, xxxx

The girls are not allowed to tell their parents what this word is and are not allowed to enter the room with their child while this mantra is given

You're not supposed to tell anyone because it is a 'pure sounding' word....the idea being that if it is passed on the sound can become 'distorted'....understandable. Again, no one is making you meditate...in fact at boys school its not called meditation period anymore but 'Quiet Time' In which you can either meditate, read, or just sit there and 'reflect', totally up to you. Well that?s what we do in 6th form.

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

AntonR

Postby AntonR » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:05 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alban

Postby Alban » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:10 am

Sam Hyde wrote:...Secondly thankyou for supporting me against the childish intervention of St James Pupil...

Rather than label someone childish (or anything else for that matter), lets just have some compassion. When anyone first reads this board, they are likely to have any number of reactions. The reaction very much depends on the state of emotional well-being in the individual, and as we know, the SES-based philosophy does not cater particularly well for emotional stability.

If we have patience, St James Pupil may have something of real value to add.

First posts are often in the form of an outburst...aren't they.

Sam Hyde wrote:...You're not supposed to tell anyone because it is a 'pure sounding' word....the idea being that if it is passed on the sound can become 'distorted'....understandable...

Is it? distorted?..in what way? If everyone had their own mantra, then I could see that there may be some need for privacy, but as this is not the case, and is still the same one that I got 28 years ago, then it strikes me as being another of those dumb edicts which are passed down. Or could it be that they realise that anyone could meditate if they wanted to, and the only thing that they can give is a mantra. Maybe the Christian religion should take a leaf out of the SES's book and start charging for giving people the ability to pray!

ffs!

Sam Hyde wrote:...Again, no one is making you meditate...in fact at boys school its not called meditation period anymore but 'Quiet Time' In which you can either meditate, read, or just sit there and 'reflect', totally up to you. Well that?s what we do in 6th form....

I suppose Black Sabbath on an ipod is out of the question though!

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:13 am

Yeah, hence its called Quiet time!
And the 'distortion' would be caused by a 'chinese whispers' effect THATS what I was refering to!
And I welcome anything usedull StJP has to say just I doubt it will happen.

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!

"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

parent

Postby parent » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:38 pm

I would like to know how many parents have withdrawn thier children from this establishment in the last 5 years or so. I know of approximatly ten.

I would also like to know thier reasons for doing so. I wonder if the establishment has maintained a statistic and I wonder if current parents have access to this information.

Could I as a current parent walk upto Mssrs. Boddy/Moss etc. and ask for this information? and be provided with it openly?

Could I also be given an accurate statistic of how many 6th formers are "offered"a place into the foundation course ? how many decline? and how many accept?

Return to “St James and St Vedast”