Schools Minister:SES school flouted child safety regulations

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
daska

Postby daska » Fri May 05, 2006 6:39 am

They certainly are Shout, I particularly like them grilled...

Maturity isn't determined by age.

mm-

Postby mm- » Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 am

Thats an interesting one. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what the appointment process was for appointing Moss, Hyde and of course Boddy?

It certainly isn't through the normal selection process that any other teacher at other schools have to go through. There does not seem to be any outside advertising for e.g the TES, as can be seen for other private schools.

At the moment St James has appointed a junior school class assistant to take over as class teacher next term. It appears that they presently hold no teaching qualifications. This same person has also been accused of smacking a child with a ruler across the hand and worryingly I am told that there have been other incidents. Rumour is, that her husband sits on the board of governors.

xstJ

Postby xstJ » Mon May 08, 2006 8:46 am

mm- wrote: This same person has also been accused of smacking a child with a ruler across the hand and worryingly I am told that there have been other incidents. Rumour is, that her husband sits on the board of governors.

This is really serious, if it's true the teacher in question should at the very least be sacked immediatly. Do you know if a complaint has been made?

mm-

Postby mm- » Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 am

XSTJ,

I am told the teacher concerned apologised, so a complaint must have been made. I have recently been made aware that there have been other incidents with the same teacher but I cannot comment on them as I do not know the details. You would have thought that the first incident would be enough to terminate the teachers contract- at least in any other normal school you would expect this to happen. At St James however, you get a promotion.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Mon May 08, 2006 12:06 pm

I have recently learnt that some kids spend a lot of their time in detention. They have no idea why they are in detention, to them it is just something they have to do.

They are questioned while in detention and their answers are recorded on audio tape. At their next detention nothing is said to them, they are merely played the recordings from previous detention sessions to listen to.

The kids have NO idea what it means or why they are there.

This is junior primary (ie - under 9 years old).

I might cross post this in the "Melbourne:thread"
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Tue May 09, 2006 8:23 pm

a different guest wrote:I have recently learnt that some kids spend a lot of their time in detention. They have no idea why they are in detention, to them it is just something they have to do.

They are questioned while in detention and their answers are recorded on audio tape. At their next detention nothing is said to them, they are merely played the recordings from previous detention sessions to listen to.

The kids have NO idea what it means or why they are there.

This is junior primary (ie - under 9 years old).

I might cross post this in the "Melbourne:thread"

This smacks of $cientology to me!

Snowman

Postby Snowman » Wed May 10, 2006 1:21 pm

mm- wrote:
Thats an interesting one. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what the appointment process was for appointing Moss, Hyde and of course Boddy?

It certainly isn't through the normal selection process that any other teacher at other schools have to go through. There does not seem to be any outside advertising for e.g the TES, as can be seen for other private schools.

At the moment St James has appointed a junior school class assistant to take over as class teacher next term. It appears that they presently hold no teaching qualifications. This same person has also been accused of smacking a child with a ruler across the hand and worryingly I am told that there have been other incidents. Rumour is, that her husband sits on the board of governors.

I wonder if Mrs Hyde has obtained any teaching qualifications yet - she had none when she was appointed in 1996.

Bizzarely she was also appointed Headmistress through a covert process designed to bypass the board of governors - why would they do that? More interestingly, how could that happen?

Even more interestingly, do you see any parallells with the appointment of Boddy?

sugarloaf

Postby sugarloaf » Wed May 10, 2006 11:43 pm

I would be very interested to find out how Boddy was appointed.

Ive read his CV in the school prosepctus... I'm aware of his career in media and politics, I know he was SES media spokesman for upwards of 2 decades, I've read in newspapers how he was aware of allegations of mistreatment in the mid eighties, and then I watched him lie on TV this year when he said this was the 1st time the governors were aware of it....

And I still cant find any evidence of educational training, qualifications, or experience. I may be wrong - I hope I am - can anyone put me straight?
What exactly was the selection criteria when the SES were looking for a new head for St james?

Snowman

Postby Snowman » Thu May 11, 2006 8:46 am

sugarloaf wrote:I would be very interested to find out how Boddy was appointed.

Ive read his CV in the school prosepctus... I'm aware of his career in media and politics, I know he was SES media spokesman for upwards of 2 decades, I've read in newspapers how he was aware of allegations of mistreatment in the mid eighties, and then I watched him lie on TV this year when he said this was the 1st time the governors were aware of it....

And I still cant find any evidence of educational training, qualifications, or experience. I may be wrong - I hope I am - can anyone put me straight?
What exactly was the selection criteria when the SES were looking for a new head for St james?

Mr Boddy manouvered himself in to a mediating role to relsove the disputes that arose over the appointment of Debenham's successor. The genius of his mediating role was that he then proposed that he should be considered as a candidate - and voila! He fitted the bill perfectly - no teaching qualifications, no experience of running an institution for children, a career in media and opinion management, long-term SES member and supporter and a charming manner.

What better candidate could be found to manage the image of the school and to maintain the relationship between St James and SES? None! He became the only choice for the governors and of course the other governors.

I doubt that any other school governing body would ever consider appointing a headmaster with no experience and qualifications. If he had become a qualified teacher through his years of SES tutoring then I'm afraid that the SES is living dangerously on the wrong side of Cult behaviour. I suppose that is no great suprise. The arrogance, belligerence and hubris that persists throughout SES demonstrates, once again, that they exist on their own agenda and what changes we see on the outside are merely superficial.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Thu May 11, 2006 8:46 pm

sugarloaf wrote:What exactly was the selection criteria when the SES were looking for a new head for St james?

I'm sure Mr Boddy has at least a Master's degree in Education, extensive teaching experience, has spent a minimum of a year as a head of department, has a proven commitment to equal opportunities, and a thorough knowledge of child-protection legislation and practice. I have no doubt that he was simply the strongest candidate of those who were selected for interview after responding to the post advertised in the Guardian and TES.

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Thu May 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Perhaps... but then again, maybe the board were adhering to the Platonic notion (although Plato wasn't really confident of this proposition), that all knowledge is really innate. All you need is a good, Socratic, intellectual, dialectic discussion to bring it to the fore. Why bother with qualifications when you and your mates can blag your way through life?

daska

Postby daska » Thu May 11, 2006 9:21 pm

innate knowlege?!

I remember this being presented as 'you were born knowing everything, all you have to do is remember..."

It's A

Are you sure?

Yes, it's A

Is that your final answer?

ooooh nooo, I'm not sure, can I phone a friend / ask the audience / go 50:50

Return to “St James and St Vedast”