Is "Teacher C" Mr Debenham?

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.

Mike, you are a handsome guy (thank you) but way off with this one

Poll ended at Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:12 pm

Yes you are
50%
No, I agree with your assessment
50%

Total votes: 2

mgormez

Is "Teacher C" Mr Debenham?

Postby mgormez » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:10 pm

I've a question for you all. I think "Teacher C" is Nicholas Debenham because he got specifically cleared of sadism and that was the only mention of sadism in the report: http://www.iirep.com./Report/report.htm

When you read here then you see "Teacher C" was cleared of sadism accusations by Townend: http://www.iirep.com./page13.htm

And ND made references on the Channel 4 programme.

I know he is not teaching but perhaps still employed as paid advisor. To 'prevent stepping on admin toes and lets keep quiet' feeling, I'll make it a poll.

xstJ

Postby xstJ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:19 pm

As far as I'm aware the 3 teachers found to have abused children, who are still teaching are:

1. David Lacey
2. David Hipshon
3. Chris Southwell

So teacher C would be one of them, probably Lacey as he's the obvious sadist.

Debenham's current role is as chair of the Education Renaissance Trust, for more info see www.stjamesinquiry.org

sparks

Postby sparks » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Mike,

Teacher 'C 'is not Debenham. The three teachers refered to in the Governors' posting (refered to as A, B and C) are all current teachers. This is clearly stated.

The Townend Inquiry - Current Teachers
The Townend Inquiry into discipline policy and practice 20-30 years ago at St Vedast and St James school received complaints against three teachers who are still on the staff of the St James schools.

Debenham is not employed as a teacher at the school since his retirement in 2004. He is certainly not named on any current staff lists.

Debenham is however unfortunately still involved in childrens' education through his Chairmanship of the Education Renaisance Trust (ERT). See http://www.education-renaissance-trust. ... tactus.htm

The organisation was co-founded by David Boddy in 1997 to support and carry forward "the St James approach to education" through supporting other schools in the UK and overseas. The ERT website states that St James is one of "our schools". See http://www.education-renaissance-trust.org.uk/aims2.htm

Debenham was certainly still Chair a week after the Inquiry when he signed the ERT's annual accounts filed with the UK Charity Commission. See bottom of page 4 at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/re ... 01_E_C.pdf

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:36 am

Thanks guys! Obviously not one of my brighter days. Sometimes you think you've solved a little of a puzzle to find you haven't even opened the box. Oh well.. Time to write an apology to ND.
Mike Gormez

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:02 am

Mike,

For what it's worth, and wrt your apology in the separate thread you created, I think Nicholas Debenham does not deserve any kind of apology. The man was brutal and sadistic, as evidenced by numerous posts on this board - and by my own experience of an entire primary and secondary 'education' under him.

chrisdevere

Postby chrisdevere » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:03 am

Of the three teachers, it is rather hard to work out who ius who! A it says has apologised (Only DH has done so). but C it says had anger problems this would point to DH?

Whole thing is probably made up!

DH had the courage to apologise on here and I for one felt it sincere and heartfelt. I would hate to see something happen to him as I felt him an excellent teacher of History. But sadly at the time he was also violent and terrifying. I put this rage down to him probably having had his own personal demons which I hope he has resolved. However despite his mad mood swings and propensity for violence, there was always a certain honour and integrity about the man.

CS was for want of a better word an rude, bullying, chauvanistic, Arsehole in the 70's and 80's. I doubt time will have changed him much!

DL was my brothers form master and a nasty sadistic bastard. He loved both mental and physical cruelty. I luckily only saw this from afar. However I do remember one occasion before my brother joined St James when I was waiting outside Queensgate with a friend for my father to pick me up.

DL came out saw us and decided we should be taken inside and beaten by him! I guess it was because my father was late and school boys outside made the place look untidy for the SES members turning up!

I can quite easily forgive the mistakes of youthful anger, however CS and DL were maturer, knewwhat they were doing and clearly took some form of pleasure in it. I think their silence says a great deal!
Christopher de Vere
chrisdevere@hotmail.com

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Daffy wrote:Mike,

For what it's worth, and wrt your apology in the separate thread you created, I think Nicholas Debenham does not deserve any kind of apology. The man was brutal and sadistic, as evidenced by numerous posts on this board - and by my own experience of an entire primary and secondary 'education' under him.

Be assured Daffy my apology has nothing to do with my opion of the man as a stomach revolting sadist but with my own error.
Mike Gormez

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:26 pm

mgormez wrote:
Daffy wrote:Mike,

Be assured Daffy my apology has nothing to do with my opion of the man as a stomach revolting sadist but with my own error.

I can't resist the temptation to point out to Boddy, Elizabeth, et al that what Mike has made is known as a 'mistake' or 'error'. Can you see how that's different from what you call 'mistakes'?
(Sorry - I'll shut up now.)

Keir

Postby Keir » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:32 pm

And did you notice how easily the apology flowed from him once he realised his mistake - no inquiry, no denial, no head in sand etc etc.

Now I will shut up.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”