you can't speak out against something that doesn't exist

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
whitedevil

you can't speak out against something that doesn't exist

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 am

i have voiced my initial opinions in Sam Hyde's thread if you care to read them. just to reiterate. you are making me and others suffer for things that have nothing to do with us! hypothetically, if your monster of a campaign succeeds, who will suffer as a result of the bad press? Me that's who! It is going to affect my acceptance into the university of my choice for one thing. You hide behind the guise of rescuing people from the clutches of the SES, but we don't need to be saved from something that has nothing to do with us. As I said before I go to St James and am not forced to perform ANY SES activity. and neither is anyone else i know. so if it's not us your doing it for, who is it? self gratification perhaps? Fair enough some permanent damage was inflicled. but to then inflict permanent damgage on my future is surely sadistic and wrong. Take as far as you want with the people you think are against you. But don't involve me and my friends as you have been doing. we are not SES but we value reason. and some of the teachers teaching me were in pushchairs and dungarees when you were getting harassed. take a look around, who are you fighting for?
freedom wears your scars of desire

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 am

I didn't know that in the UK uni acceptance was based on media reports about schools.

Here we have exams and you get a mark and your mark in the exam is what can get you into uni.

Intersting stuff there whitedevil. And I see the school is teaching empathy and compassion just as much as it ever did. So some things don't change.

Goblinboy

Re: you can't speak out against something that doesn't exist

Postby Goblinboy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:06 am

whitedevil and Sam Hyde,

Acknowledge your concerns. I don't think anyone wishes you anything but the best. It is "sadistic and wrong" to hurt schoolchildren. However, you do need to look deeper into the root causes of what you "suffer".

whitedevil wrote: you are making me and others suffer for things that have nothing to do with us! ... Fair enough some permanent damage was inflicled. but to then inflict permanent damgage on my future is surely sadistic and wrong. Take as far as you want with the people you think are against you. But don't involve me and my friends as you have been doing.

The inquiry came about because of the behaviour of SES members and teachers at your school towards pupils in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Now these individuals and organisations are, to some extent, reaping what they have sown. The effects of the actions of the SES members and teachers - which include the public voice provided by this bulletin board, the inquiry and the media interest it generates - are affecting you and your peers.

It's an unfortunate corollary. There are clearly some good things happening at St James. But St James will come under scrutiny because of its unavoidable relationship with the past. You are unfortunate to be attending the school at a time when the legacy of its past caught up with it.

Nothing very useful comes of victims blaming victims.

(BTW, "sadistic and wrong" is an interesting tautology).

Regards,

GB

PS Nice to see a pupil from an SES school reference a play written by a Jacobean other than Shakespeare, if that's your username's intention.

Keir

Postby Keir » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:15 am

Whitedevil,

The worst that might happen is that you might get an extra portion of pudding from the dinner ladies at Uni, and possibly a great deal of sympathy from your fellow undergrads, and maybe extra patience from your Vice Chancellor and tutors should you go off the rails.

Really, nothing to be afraid of. You have done nothing wrong, just as we didn't do anything wrong in speaking about our experiences and asking for an apology.

Openess can only be a good thing, and I am not spiteful towards anyone.

Keir

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:41 am

Gee, I could be wrong, but "white devil" sounds an awful lot like Sam Hyde. Could be the same person. If not, then St. James sure is doing a bad job of teaching spelling, grammar, and writing.

whitedevil

Grow up Free Thinker

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 am

Do I accuse you of being someone else? I most certainly do not! If you want your comments to be respected, you shold stop resorting to such low level, pathetic drivle. I am my own man, just as I'm sure you are. Iv'e always considered there to be certain rules to internet rhetoric. questioning people's existence being a definate no no. Don't behave like a baby

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 am

Do I accuse you of being someone else?

Who are you addressing? A number of posters have responded in this thread.

If you want your comments to be respected, you shold stop resorting to such low level, pathetic drivle.

If you want your comments addressed seriously I suggest you need a 'u' in "shold" and transpose some letters in "drivle".

I am my own man, just as I'm sure you are.

*Checks nether regions for male genitalia*

questioning people's existence being a definate no no.

Actually it is quite common. Goes to show that lack of IT at St James I guess.

Don't behave like a baby

Suggestion. Stop spelling/posting "like a baby"

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:12 am

Goblinboy, keir and a diefferent guest,

firstly, please don't patronise me (a different guest). Of course i know full well what university entrance is based on. I know little in detail about what kind of interview i will have to face. I was merely hypothesising that it may affect me unofficially but obviously that's a tad too subtle.
Thank you Goblinboy for the effort you put into my reply. (this is sincere). It's nice to see someone take a real look at my argument. And i must once again say that i DO sympathise with the majority of you. I just think the route to "justice!" is through my back garden. Which is not necessarily good for either party.
Unfortunately Keir,as i said earlier, I know very little about the ins and outs of the country's universities. Not for want of opportunity I might add. I was just assuming that bad press about my school would bring my education into question in the interview, If indeed there is any questioning of anything

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:27 am

firstly, please don't patronise me

If you don't want to be patronised then please don't post such "drivle".

Media reportage about your shcool will have NOTHING to do with your uni entrance - stop look for excuses.

As for the enquiry, it is "not about you".

Have some compassion for the past students posting here. Were you beaten on bare buttocks as a 4 year old? How about cold showers in the middle of winter for some imagined infraction? The students at St James were seriously abused - and this was not necessarily "30 years ago". Meanwhile female students were subject to psychological abuse - no less nasty - and then married off to older teachers.

Want to tell me this is normal????

*taps foot*

Don't give me a 'that was then this is now" answer, these thing happened in your living memory (short as it is).

There is at least one teacher at the school still, who was guilty of criminal abuse, just because he doesn't do it anymore is that ok?

Consider - "I raped a woman 10 years ago but haven't raped someone since, so let's forget it eh?"

What do you make of that statement? Is it acceptable?
Last edited by a different guest on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:27 am

A different guest,

I apologise, it was aimed at Free Thinker.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:30 am

whitedevil wrote:A different guest,

I apologise, it was aimed at Free Thinker.

I think you will find that FT doesn't have male genitalia either

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 am

a different guest,

I do not think it's acceptible. The point i'm trying to make is not that the situation shouldn't be rectified. But i think it's unfair to the new generation of parents, teachers and pupils who have little to do with the abuse. so when you stop involving people who have nothing to do with it, then I will "stop look for exuses" and i will stop worrying about "uni" (versity. See, i can be pedantic too.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 am

in Australian dialect english "uni" DOES mean "university"

*pokes tongue*

And you yourself are NOT involved - however the Govenors of your shcool are! Any reading of their pronoucements about the inquiry would have any current parent or student worried - they presided over abject abuse, yet they still build bunkers to hide behind.

Go and read what they say and objectively analyise it.

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 pm

a different guest,

I have just read the school's comment on the report and I found nothing extreme. What is it that I am being taught that my parents aren't aware of?

james

Postby james » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:41 pm

This is a reply to a pretty petty jab at the st james IT department.
The senior boys spend a huge amount on money on IT! Im not sure what it is like now but when i left they had over 30 mac ibooks that any pupil could sign out for the day. They had a number of dell desktops, a mac Xserve which powered a 2mbps wireless internet all around the school so pupils could acess the internet wherever they were. The english room had a 30inch plasma TV, the french room had frence sky tv. and the maths room had an interactive white board so the teachers scriblings could be printed off at the end of each lesson (using a wireless laser jet). Thats just the senior boys and belive me the list does go on, if you would like it i will type an up to date one for you just to prove my point.
St James IS DIFFERENT from the one 20odd years ago. Very different. And I enjoyed my time there.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”