Our Campaign against urs, Parents THIS is what u want 2 hear

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Daska,

On the subject of civil partnership. I think it's a benefit to society that it exists. The subject is in fact very close to my heart. My stepmother was a fully fledged Lesbian until she met my dad (long story). Although giving two individuals in a civil partnership more rights than a married couple maybe slightly unethical. However it would be just as unethical if it the balance of rights was visa versa.

This is my genuine opinion. I love independent thought too
freedom wears your scars of desire

mm-

Postby mm- » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:47 pm

LAWS OF MANU

I'm sorry to sound ignorant but this is the first time I have heard of the Laws of Manu.

Could someone please confirm if these are taught in the senior school or not ( I am assuming that these are not taught in the junior school)? Are members of the SES expected to follow these laws?

Thanks

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:48 pm

mm,

They have never been taught to me or anyone else i know in St James.

james

Postby james » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:53 pm

MM
No they are not taught it. The Philosophy "material" used at St James is, based on, but totaly removed from that of the SES or SoES or SOP or whatever you want to call it.
The Philosophy is far more dilute and is censored to remove any inapropriate material, such as the "Laws Of Manu".
It also allows for a greater amount of discusion, and children are not expected to believe what they hear.

Keir

Postby Keir » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:01 pm

I dunno,

I go away for a nice leafleting and graphing expedition with a charming bunch of old activist geezers and come back to a thread that has grown 5 more pages and everyone is being civilised!!!

What is the world coming to?

We'll be joining hands around protest bonfires at AinA before long at this rate. What happened to good old reactionary posting. Back in my day it was the only way to fly.

Dissipated
from Tunbridge Wells

james

Postby james » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:06 pm

lmao (laughing my ass off (for u old people!))

Nice Kier.

Well i hope we do all meet and have a good sing song and some drinks. It would certainly become a very heated and good debating session!

Hope too see you there!

:agrue:

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 pm

Keir you make me laugh! I guess we hall have settled down, found our niches. Fancy a BBQ at AinA, heard the beef from local cows makes divine Burgers!!!! lol
Nice to be civil, I'll see if I can avoid the temptations.......grinds teeth!

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Kudos to keir!

For cracking a sorely needed joke. I did wonder if it was acceptable to be jovial

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Daska,
I'm a year behind James and we have also debated with Mr Boddy on many occasions regarding gays and equal rights. I don't know why his sessions are still called 'Philosophy' because they haven?t been remotely Philosophical for about a year! Well at least after he arrived and found his niche hence realised he was talking to a brick wall.
Anyway, the argument was, we (the 6th form) support gay rights as some of us speak out about experiences and more have gay friends. He was surprised to hear our interest on the topic and Dr Watson our avid rainbow flag waver, bent over double behind her study door eavesdropping into the heated debate! LOL we love her! (don?t assume the ?woman? was excluded, she doesn?t sit with us during DB?s sessions out of choice, she has better things to do. REST ASSURED
So anyway, result was Boddy would not turn away from a gay person, but allow him to confide in him, offer advise and possibly 'alternatives'. This caused a stir and I quickly got on his back so to speak?.heheh and the argument was resolved when we agreed to disagree.

Anyway, free speech maybe, but old schoolers yes, just as we are allowed out opinions they are too.

Sam xox

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:36 pm

Daska is referring to the fact that indoctrinated people don't realise when they are indoctrinated. This is a comment I made earlier in this thread. To be honest it's a reference to the writings of Pierre Bourdieu, philosopher turned anthropologist, who was at pains to show how being brought up in any kind of culture (cult or otherwise) frames the perceptions of those growing up in it. What his study brought out was, that in organising peoples' habits, associations, space, time, etc, and moulding people's perceptions of them, culture had the ability to become, as it were, second nature.
There are, of course, those who think Bourdieu's work is too deterministic, but his theory has subtleties that are worth considering. Alban's comments about changing his outlook when he left the school environment, for instance, would appear to reflect some of Bourdieu's ideas in practice (interestingly his work is called 'An Outline of a Theory of Practice' -although the English translation is a difficult read).
That does not mean you are all brainwashed; merely that there may be some ideas that you take for granted that have filtered through without you realising it. Once, for instance, it was a common conception that the world was flat and at the centre of the universe. I only give this as a crude analogy. But, as Alban suggests, it is worth trying your ideas out on people outside the school environment, and yes, as Daska says, retain a healthy scepticism!
Last edited by nilsabm on Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Nilsabm, honestly a very interesting post. I really enjoy a bit of mental gymnastics. I will consider what you say, however, as the most 'SES-product' here I can say that my personal views are miles from those of the hard liners and some current staff I have come across. Especially in reference to the gay rights issue!

Sam xox

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:49 pm

You have'nt all gone to bed have you? Im the one with school in the morning!!!! Someone strike up convo!

Sam xox

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:49 pm

I'm gald to hear it Sam. I don't doubt that. My year were equally sceptical to be honest. Just clariying a point that had been raised earlier. But I go to write something and another page of posts spring up in between. Nice one Kier by the way.

About that joining hands and singing protest songs; did you read my previous post, Sam, about having similar concerns and about taking some productive action that might allow for a satisfactory resolution on all sides? (I'll bring a guitar)

whitedevil

Postby whitedevil » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:52 pm

(I'll bring a guitar)[/quote]

so will sam and I. Whidedevil blues anyone?

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:52 pm

I?m completely lost, sorry can you reiterate your solution idea....:s

Sam xox

Return to “St James and St Vedast”