Mystic Guru who guides the SES and St. James Schools

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Justice

Postby Justice » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:45 pm

I would be interested to know how many parents with children at St. James Independent Schools, or who are considering sending their children there, have seen a photograph of the Mystic Guru who offers guidance to the School of Economic Science and St. James Independent Schools?

His name is Vasudevananda Saraswati and you can see a photograph of him at the following web address:

http://ayurvedahc.com/ayphoto2.htm

If you are planning a holiday to India in the near future you can even visit him personally during a "Spiritual India Himalayan Pilgramage" lasting 19 - 24 days. He lives up a mountain in the Himalayas. See the following web address and look for "Day 14" where you can see more photographs of him:

http://www.divinerevelation.org/HimalayaLong.html

Has he ever visited the schools or given a talk at any of them?

Snowman

Postby Snowman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 pm

Is this a new guru to the SES? It isn't the one from my days as a student.

Justice

Postby Justice » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:24 pm

He seems to be fairly new. Here is a quote re the Guru from the SES website which can be seen at:

http://www.schooleconomicscience.org/ne ... y-back.htm

"The School was introduced to the ancient Indian Vedic texts that expound the teaching of Advaita in the early 1960s when contact was first made with Shri Shantananda Saraswati, one of the leaders of an ancient philosophic and spiritual tradition. He continued to give guidance throughout his life and regular meetings took place between him and Leon MacLaren. That guidance continues to be given by his successor Shri Vasudevananda Saraswati. "

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:44 pm

He looks like the cult leader out of Gunga Din!! :evilbat:

Matthew

Re: Mystic Guru who guides the SES and St. James Schools

Postby Matthew » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:02 pm

www.schooleconomicscience.org wrote:The Vedic texts on Advaita philosophy are rich, detailed and comprehensive, but the essential principle is by no means limited to eastern teachings. It is also found in the great teachings of the western world. The study material used by the School therefore includes not only the Bhagavad Geeta and the Upanishads of Indian origin, but also the Bible, Plato, and the teachings of the leading Renaissance philosopher Marsilio Ficino, the ancient Egyptian teacher Hermes Trismegistus and others. Together these provide a treasury of spiritual and practical knowledge which contains all that human beings could possibly need in order to discover, with perseverance, the answer to the great questions that arise in every human mind at some time, in some way: What is my true self? What is the origin and support of this creation? What is my part in the great play of creation?

I see.

So "Together these provide a treasury of spiritual and practical knowledge which contains all that human beings could possibly need in order to discover, with perseverance, the answer to the great questions that arise in every human mind at some time, in some way"

Oh really? According to who, and on what or who's authority?

Is this what they're still drip feeding St James kids? And how many of the non-SES parents know of any of this?

NYC

Postby NYC » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:37 pm

Would be pretty surprised if Vasudevananda Saraswati visited any of the SES or children's schools; he's got enough to do with the succession dispute over his own leadership. There are three different claimants to the Jytoirmath (northern) lineage, and although Vasudevananda is recognized as the legitimate one by the secular Indian government, his authority is not recognized by the heads of any of the other foundational monasteries in the advaita tradition. This succession dispute goes back to Vasudevananda's predecessor, Shantananda Saraswati.

I posted a lot more detail about the Indian lineages on http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3291&highlight=#3291

if you are interested, Justice.

NYC

Postby NYC » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Also, two other things ? there is some Hindu tradition which frowns on crossing the ocean ? I?m not at all well-informed about this but something about how an orthodox Hindu can walk far & wide, and can cross river-boundaries, but should never cross an ocean. Some interpret this prohibition as a guard against becoming a colonizer, against war, against invading other countries/tribal lands and also against mass exodus of your own people to other locales. Others interpret it as simply a backward expression of isolationism. In modern times many Hindus disregard it as outdated ? even in Victorian times, quite traditional Hindu leaders like Swami Sivananda sent devotees to Europe & America. But it does remain controversial, and it is probably part of the reason why Lambie would have to go to the Himalayas to meet with Vasudevanda ? V. would not come to London. Reminds me a bit of office status games, where people tussle over who has to leave their office to meet with others, and who has people come to them.

The other thing ? for a spiritual leader in any of the Hindu traditions, and certainly in the advaita one, being photographed with a person is a mark of endorsement of his/her work. The picture Justice cites shows Swami Vasudevanda with the author of an ayurvedic text, and so lends a part of Vasudevanda?s authority to that individual?s rendition of ayurvedic thought. If Vasudevananda has not been photographed with Lambie, then that could mean he accepts Lambie as a student but does not necessarily endorse his schools.

ross nolan

the swami

Postby ross nolan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Justice et al, This bloke looks to be the same as the one who's photograph mysteriously appeared after a few classes in the SOP's "Wyreena centre" lecture rooms (provided generously by my local council) replacing a former picture of two doves in a fruit tree (which has some significance to the SOP in relation to Fiscino I believe )

I commented that he had that sly smile that looked like he was barely suppressing his glee at how credulous these gullible westeners were -- a bit like the Dalai Lama's just about perpetual grin and 'giggling' sort of demeanour -- is it a pre requisite for Gurus to look 'cretinously happy' (ie a fixed grin or smile apparently unrelated to any external events -- think of the Mahareshi (Beatle's guru) even the Rev Desmond Tutu seems to go in for the 'look'.

Are there any short haired , shoe wearing , non robed type gurus or is it de riguer to have that "homeless, destitute" look ?

Keep it coming .

Ross.
Skeptic

leon

Re: the swami

Postby leon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:55 pm

ross nolan wrote:
Are there any short haired , shoe wearing , non robed type gurus or is it de riguer to have that "homeless, destitute" look ?

Keep it coming .

Ross.

the pope?

Saint James

isn't that guy also linked to the TS sect in the US ?

Postby Saint James » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Transcendental Science, apparently with lawsuits in the queue

ross nolan

new guru

Postby ross nolan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:04 am

Leon "ST James" et al -- All I'll say about the Pope is I haven't seen him in a suit lately . St J (Is this a tongue in cheek ref to the school or your name perhaps ?) -- care to expand on what "Transcendental science " might be -- do we need another cult ? or is it a new type of dentistry ?

It seems to be that a "guru" or "mystical master" has to come from some faraway place and look 'exotic' to get full points -- have you considered that the 'guru' of the white races is in fact middle eastern and depicted as long haired , robed and smiling beneficently -- totally out of character with his followers 'racial' stereotype (as in white European) then look at the Chinese communists proudly carrying banners depicting Karl Marx and Lenin (bearded, white, caucasian) -- at least Mohammed was indigenous to most of his followers (but as we now know it is not a good idea to portray him ....) but not those from Australia's near neighbour and largest Muslim country the Indo Asian Indonesia -- the Buddha seems to have been feminized and acquired exaggerated ear lobes but still with the enigmatic 'mona lisa' expression .

Is the long hair bit part of the religion like for Hasidic jews or Sikhs who are not permitted to cut their hair (hence the turban ) -- Did John Lennon go 'guru' in imitation of the Mahareshi ? -- and lead probably millions of others on the guru trail .

The Hari Krishnas go in for the 'freshly de loused' look with shaved dusted heads and one little token lock of hair and the hindu red spot (third eye)
-- who is their guru,swami etc ? -- did the Hari Krishnas get much traction in the UK or establish a permanent 'church' ? I note the BBC just announced the first state supported Hindu school in the UK -- competition for the SES ?

My theory is that the 'bedraggled,bearded' look is meant to convey both a 'father figure' look and a 'world worn' aire of experience , fortitude,and of course wisdom -- the reflected glory from a genuine grizzled Indian swami was apparently important to the SES to counter the pin striped and anonymous 'businessman' look of the founder -- sort of legitimate patina of ancient eastern learning . Why then do the SES "operatives" all sport CIA type crew cuts and pressed suits and ties ? (look for all the world like secret service agents especially with the dark glasses on and standing to attention -- one of the first things that come to notice on initial exposure to the philosophy classes, here at least .)

Any thoughts ?

Ross.
Skeptic

AntonR

Mystic Guru

Postby AntonR » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:52 am

Post deleted
Last edited by AntonR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Ross,
you think Vasudevanada is working the ?homeless, destitute look?? Seated on a throne, surrounded by attendants whose heads are at a lower level, and shaded with an ornate parasol someone else is holding up?

Saint James

guru lawsuit

Postby Saint James » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:16 pm

I thought "TS" was a sect in the US - into this transcedental meditation which seems to be hip amongst Vice President guys especially, who use their techniques with staff (for instance repeating certain words while holding speeches).

I read a name somewhere while browsing the web regarding SES and thought that's the same one as this guru guy who seems to be connected to the SES sect.

Let me clarify:

I asked a good colleague at work about this guy and he told me that this guy is dangerous and that I should keep my fingers off him, and that there is all these lawsuits.

I always thought there was some sort of globalisation amongst sects as well, similar as in the manufacturing industry --- where most companies are owned by others, all pretty well disguised.

I don't know who is the megaguru though... maybe that giggling one? (forgot his name)

Is there any guru vs sects family tree somewhere on the net ?

ross nolan

gurus etc

Postby ross nolan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:57 am

Maybe I got too obtuse == the "guru of the Europeans" I was alluding to was of course Jesus Christ -- the Pope is not himself a guru but just his 'front man' in effect. The picture of the "shank" or the new guru that was at the SOP rooms was a close up with bare feet, in a pretty delapidated doorway and what looked like greasy matted hair typical of many derelicts -- the 'down and out' thing seems to be part of the 'detachment' from the craven world of materialism (both for christ and indian holy men) .

My point was that if you gave the swami a good bath, a haircut and beard trim and put him in a suit he might be considerably "de mystified" -- by others geneflecting and humbling themselves in his presence I suppose he is given special status that he obviously accepts which tends to run counter to his ' lacking all ego and worldly concern ' image.

Quite obviously the average Indian peasant seemed to accord greater staus to the English administrator/soldier etc than to their own home grown holy men if the English 'occupation' of India is anything to go by -- just the 'prophet not without honour save in his own land ' effect

Just heard an extremely interesting replay of an interview with Steve Hassan ('cult buster') at about 4 am this morning on the local ABC radio network -- a transcript is available (and possibly audio) on www.abc.net.au/religion (then follow the prompts to "the spirit of things" with Rachel Cohn (sic)

He details his own experience in coming out of the moonies cult (another straight laced and suited 'Guru" from the East but Westernized in appearence) -- his new book 'releasing the bonds' and previous book 'combating mind control' sound excellent -- his website is www. freedom of mind .com

I'll post some more detail on the thread to do with recognizing cult techniques and dealing with them (Justice!'s thread )

Cheers, ross.
Skeptic

Return to “General discussion of SES”