NEW MESSAGE FROM DAVID BODDY

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:26 am

Any complaint should be specified as fully, clearly and accurately as possible. Recognising that these matters may have taken place up to three decades ago, it would nonetheless be helpful to the inquiry if complaints could say what was said or done, by whom and against whom, in whose presence or hearing and with what effect, and when and where the incident occurred. If a complaint about the incident was made straight afterwards, then details of that complaint should also be given.

I don't know if I am out of line here, but in my former profession dealing with people who exhibited at times very irate behavior we used standard sheets to report 'incidents'.

Simple questions like: names of people present, names of persons involved, instigator, victim (of any), what was told, short description of events, was it sexual in nature, was it physical, was the police notified, how much on a scale of 1 to 5 does it affect you, have you had an immediate debrief, do you want additional help. And if needed an extra sheet to express what more you want to tell.

if I would report abuse to the governors, I'd make such a sheet for myself (leaving out the cops and debriefs) and keep the facts part as business-like as possible. It would make it easier for them to do reference checks and find the people involved. Otherwise you might start wandering all over the place in long rambling letters when all the emotions come floating to the surface and leave it to the governors to fish the vital information out of it.
Last edited by mgormez on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Gormez

Tom Grubb

Six facts about the Inquiry

Postby Tom Grubb » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Six facts about the Inquiry:

1) On 25th January 2005, Christine Betts, the Clerk to the Inquiry, stated that the Governors would "settle the final terms of reference and the timetable for the Inquiry" on 16th February. This has still not happened.

2) A Chairperson for the Inquiry has still not been appointed. The first person approached by the Governors, Leolin Price QC, was recently revealed not only to have met the Chairman of the Governors but also to have attended at least one political meeting with him! Both David Boddy and Katharine Watson had denied in writing that any such connection existed.

3) Two deadlines for submission of complaints had already arrived before David Boddy started writing letters to "as many of its former pupils that [sic] can reached" to inform them of the inquiry's existence.

4) At present, the only way to send a complaint to the inquiry is to email it to Christine Betts. No address for letters (registered or otherwise) has been made available.

5) On the 7th Form website, Mr Boddy has openly solicited positive comments from former pupils. Unlike the rigid criteria for submitting a complaint, these positive endorsements can apparently be as general as you like!

6) The 7th Form website received its latest official announcement about the Inquiry from David Boddy himself. On this forum, however, the latest 'official' announcement (an interestingly edited version of Mr Boddy's 7th Form post) was made by Katharine Watson, originally under the pseudonym, 'patienceismysecondname'!

Do you have confidence in this Inquiry?

Tom Grubb (Jolly little monicker, isn't it, Katharine?)

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:00 pm

mgormez has the right idea. Get the facts down as much as you can and get on with it.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:46 am

Stanton wrote:mgormez has the right idea. Get the facts down as much as you can and get on with it.

Call me Mike. Anyhow, that is not what I said or meant. There is so much unknown and the school has created such a mess. Before I'd trust to send my reports they better get their act together.

Bluntly, for some time it looks to me like Mr Boddy is on purpose making a mess so nothing comes out of this. While keeping the option open he can later say he did his best but the ex-pupils didn't co-operate. Otherwise I can't understand why they are behaving so incompetent.

Why for example, needed Katharine Watson to post using a nick and why didn't Ms Betts or Boddy posted that announcement? I am perplexed and while I count Katharine as an integer person (I do) I am not at all convinced she's isn't being used as a pawn in this game.

In all, I find it disgraceful how David Boddy is managing this inquiry so far and I am not even one of the persons who got abused.
Mike Gormez

anti_ses

Postby anti_ses » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:03 pm

mgormez wrote:Bluntly, for some time it looks to me like Mr Boddy is on purpose making a mess so nothing comes out of this. While keeping the option open he can later say he did his best but the ex-pupils didn't co-operate. Otherwise I can't understand why they are behaving so incompetent.

Bluntly, I think it must be a part of the human psyche for the victims in this case to assume that every honest mistake made by the School is in fact a purposeful means of furthering the School's own agenda. This is the only conclusion I can reach from, for example, Tom's sensationalist posts (does he still think this whole forum is a battle of PR?). From my understanding, at the moment the Inquiry does not require detailed descriptions of events, just some basic facts of what happened, to whom, and by whom. If you feel that not enough has been done to convince the abused to give such basic facts - since no conclusion can be reached from just this information - then it must be very difficult indeed to convince them.

NYC

Postby NYC » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:13 pm

"Anti_ses" you quote Mike above, who elsewhere in his post states pretty clearly that he was never abused by the School, and then write, in a very rude tone, that it must be because "victims" are incapable of telling the difference between honest mistakes and deliberate obfuscation tactics.

Well, I was never abused by this org either, and based on what I've observed just on this thread alone former students must expend a great deal of energy pushing the School to do the most basic things which would make the inquiry reliable -- like contacting fomer students about it!

Every single point Tom makes above has a fact at its core; the terms of reference are still not established, a Chair has not been appointed, the School set two deadlines for submissions BEFORE contacting any students,
the School has given an email address not a postal address for submissions, positive comments can be general while negative ones must be specific, and the latest deadline extension was posted on this thread under "patienceismymiddlename". Calling Tom Grubb post "sensationalist" is ludicrous, you don't answer any of his points you just dismiss them. "Sensationalist" was the old shut-down for accusations in "Secret Cult," you will have to come up with a new one to dismiss these former students.

I think Tom makes an excellent point that if someone does submit a complaint, perhaps the smart thing to do is send it registered mail to C. Betts, not via email. Otherwise, there is no way to independently confirm that it was sent and received. Adrasteia pointed out earlier that if the School collects all complaints "for onward transmission" to the supposedly independent Chair, how can people be assured that all complaints were actually forwarded and not "lost"?

NYC

anti_ses

Postby anti_ses » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:34 pm

NYC wrote:"Anti_ses" you quote Mike above, who elsewhere in his post states pretty clearly that he was never abused by the School, and then write, in a very rude tone, that it must be because "victims" are incapable of telling the difference between honest mistakes and deliberate obfuscation tactics.

Rude tone? Sorry, it was never intended (honest). Victims being incapable of telling the difference between mistakes and tactics? All I said is that it must be natural for them to think so...

NYC wrote:Calling Tom Grubb post "sensationalist" is ludicrous, you don't answer any of his points you just dismiss them. "Sensationalist" was the old shut-down for accusations in "Secret Cult," you will have to come up with a new one to dismiss these former students.

It's not what Tom said, it's his gist, e.g. he begins his post: "Six facts about the Inquiry:"...that's the tone of someone who's fighting a PR battle. The rhetorical question, "Do you have confidence in this Inquiry?" The sly, accusatory remark, "Jolly little monicker, isn't it, Katharine?" Maybe I'm just bad at picking up tones? Tom could easily have said what he wanted to say in a less slight fashion. But it appears the feeling he wants to arouse is just as important.

NYC wrote:Adrasteia pointed out earlier that if the School collects all complaints "for onward transmission" to the supposedly independent Chair, how can people be assured that all complaints were actually forwarded and not "lost"?

Clearly, nobody here trusts the Inquiry. People have enough time to post here...why don't they arrange an appointment with Mr Boddy to discuss the deficiencies of the Inquiry? The way I see it, it seems impossible for any of the "victims" to have confidence in any Inquiry organised by the "abusers".

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:58 pm

It's perfectly possible to request an acknowledgement of receipt for a sent email.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Anti_ses - "jolly little moniker" is something he took right from Katherine, who, under "patienceismymiddlename", when revealing who she was, said that since we all had them, why shouldn't she? Which was very rude, IMO.

Furthermore, when you are dealing with David Boddy, you are dealing with a PR situation, since that is what he does best.

I don't have confidence in this inquiry and I'm not someone whom it will benefit at all.

Stanton - whoever you are ?!?!?! Not all e-mail programs or ISPs acknowledge sent mail receipts Furthermore, it simple means that SOMEONE opened the e-mail. It does NOT mean that the person to whom it was addressed read it. Furthermore, there is no paper trail with e-mails as they can so easily be changed. As others have mentioned, the only really reliable format, especially as evidence in court, is a registered letter mailed to the addressee, who then must sign for it PERSONALLY.

anti_ses

Postby anti_ses » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Free Thinker wrote:Anti_ses - "jolly little moniker" is something he took right from Katherine, who, under "patienceismymiddlename", when revealing who she was, said that since we all had them, why shouldn't she? Which was very rude, IMO.

Not rude at all, IMO.

Free Thinker wrote:...since that is what he does best.

Evidently not.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:49 pm

anti_ses wrote:
mgormez wrote:Bluntly, for some time it looks to me like Mr Boddy is on purpose making a mess so nothing comes out of this. While keeping the option open he can later say he did his best but the ex-pupils didn't co-operate. Otherwise I can't understand why they are behaving so incompetent.

Bluntly, I think it must be a part of the human psyche for the victims in this case to assume that every honest mistake made by the School is in fact a purposeful means of furthering the School's own agenda.

Bluntly, I feel there are a little too many 'honest mistakes' - which if they are indeed 'honest' - expose a level of carelessness towards a sensitive issue which does not bode well. As I said, they better get their act together.

anti_ses wrote:From my understanding, at the moment the Inquiry does not require detailed descriptions of events, just some basic facts of what happened, to whom, and by whom. If you feel that not enough has been done to convince the abused to give such basic facts - since no conclusion can be reached from just this information - then it must be very difficult indeed to convince them.

Not at all. Simple questions are raised and answers are lacking. They only need to be addressed in a clear matter. I dully note you haven't the answers either.
Mike Gormez

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:20 pm

Anti_ses,

Prior to this year you were, as your name suggests, anti- the SES. You even ran your own web site to "[provide] relief for those unfortunate enough to have been in contact with the School of Economic Science, particularly students from St James and affiliated schools".

Your relationship with the SES has obviously changed since you wrote this. For the past few months you have been overwhelmingly supportive and defensive of the organisation and its people.

Could you please update us as to what has changed? I would be interested to know whether you have rejoined the SES, and if so, how that came about.

anti_ses

Postby anti_ses » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:31 pm

Daffy wrote:Your relationship with the SES has obviously changed since you wrote this...Could you please update us as to what has changed? I would be interested to know whether you have rejoined the SES...

You make some incorrect assumptions. What is obvious to you is absolutely untrue. I am not, nor have been, nor will I be, a member of the SES. Moreover, my views have not changed at all (cross-reference my posts on that site). The very existence of these assumptions, which naturally lead to prejudices, suggests to me that you see anyone who doesn't fully back the actions of the "victims" as a supporter of the School and/or a member of the SES. Wrong. I shall not state my connection with the SES since I wish to remain anonymous (a prerogative of all online forum users), but I assure you I am extremely familiar with the teachings and practices of the SES.

mgormez wrote:Simple questions are raised and answers are lacking. They only need to be addressed in a clear matter.

Agreed. The Internet is the medium of communication most likely to lead to misunderstandings, in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, why doesn't anyone arrange a meeting with Mr. Boddy to discuss the deficiencies in the Inquiry? There is an open invitation. Surely face-to-face discussion is just as important as the current PR war raised by Tom & Co.

mgormez wrote:I dully note you haven't the answers either.

Very dull indeed. There is a simple reason: I do not know the answers. I only believe that there are other, perhaps more productive, ways to seek answers.

Unfortunately, since I anticipate multiple rebuttals from people like Daffy who have made similar, incorrect assumptions, I may not have the time to reply to an upcoming rampage, so apologies in advance. A lot of you appear to be really angry: taking some yoga classes or playing sports might provide some relief - just a suggestion.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:54 pm

anti_ses wrote:I shall not state my connection with the SES since I wish to remain anonymous (a prerogative of all online forum users)

Why is this anti_ses? What are you scared of? I'm not trying to have a go at you - I'm genuinely interested.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:13 am

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that it was rude for Katherine to have a username that wasn't her name. I felt that her playful mocking comment about everyone else's was rude, given the reason for their anonymity.

And you're right, anti_ses, I don't think Mr. Boddy is doing a good PR job, but it's what he used to, so he's going to try.

As to why no one is making meetings with him themselves, I am going to venture to predict that, given my own meetings with the various heads of the US schools. Have you read the thread in which NYC describes the responses she got from her tutor after bringing up this issue? Lots of running around the issue, and philosophical crap, and condescention. With the exception of a few conversations I had with Neal Broxmeyer, that's what I got at the US schools and I wasn't even dealing with issues nearly this serious.

If I had been abused at the St. James/Vedast school, I wouldn't bother to meet with Boddy because I know nothing would be resolved and I'd leave the meeting angrier than I'd ever been in my life. I have to assume that other people, who were abused, feel that way.

ETA: I am insulted on behalf of the other members here, that you imply that they should do some physical exercise, and then they'll feel better, rather than trying to find a resolution to this horrific experience. Had that advice come from another person in a kinder tone, I'd agree, but from you, it's very cold.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”