EXPERIENCES AT ST. VEDAST (now St. James) AND THE S.E.S

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Alban

Postby Alban » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Anyone who has been at the schools and reads this will instantly recognise these actions as the norm rather than the exception. To be honest, I doubt many of us would have any trouble identifying Colin Russell from the description even if his name hadn't been mentioned.

CR, like many of the teachers had no control over his temper and would lash out at the slightest provocation imagined or real. David Lacy was definately another that fell into that camp of people who should never have become a teacher because he was unable to control himself, let alone any children in his charge.

I don't know about anyone else, but while CR would fly into a temper at the drop of a hat, I felt that there was a pre-meditatedness about DL which somehow made his actions more sinister.

A lot of attention has been focused on ND, and quite rightly so, because he was presiding over this regime. However, I personally feel just as much (if not more) anger at those teachers who made the classroom a fearful place day-in, day-out. Apart from the physical abuse, how is that conducive to learning?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:11 pm

Alban wrote:A lot of attention has been focused on ND, and quite rightly so, because he was presiding over this regime. However, I personally feel just as much (if not more) anger at those teachers who made the classroom a fearful place day-in, day-out. Apart from the physical abuse, how is that conducive to learning?

You make a good point Alban. I would say that more of my anger would be directed at Barber and Southwell as those were the two who most frequently subjected me to their sick and sadistic ways, particularly in the so-called "sports" lessons. Excuses such as "I was just following orders" were thrown out at the Nuremburg trials. And like you say, Debenham presided over the regime, and therefore must shoulder equal responsibility.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:01 pm

Who's orders was Debenham following?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:08 pm

adrasteia wrote:Who's orders was Debenham following?

MacLaren's, obviously.

gadflysdreams

Debenham following MacClaren's Orders

Postby gadflysdreams » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:51 pm

Does anyone really suppose that those days are over? Does anyone really believe that Boddy's appointment as headmaster has nothing to do with similar orders from Lambie? Has Boddy ever been a teacher? Does anybody believe that Will Rasmussen left St. James because he wanted to become a university lecturer? Or was he ordered out by the headmaster on the orders of Lambie? Has anything changed?

Alban

Postby Alban » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:31 pm

I think most of us are hoping that those days are over. If they're not, then there are laws being broken as society has since seen fit to legislate for the protection of children in schools. A lot of people may sneer at the current hands-off laws relating to the education of kids, but as usual, it is the few that have spoilt it for the many. Anyone who has been to St James or St Vedast diring this time would I think understandand the need for the current law.

I think it is right that you are questioning the suitability to teach, Gadfly. One of the teachers I had at St Vedast for many years, had no qualifications at all, and (like so many of them) was a totally ineffective teacher. I'm not sure how the law stands on teachers and qualificaions in private schools, but I think it would be fair to assume that David Boddy would not be considered for a similar position in a state-run school.

As for Will Rasmussen, he was one of the few (if not only) exceptions to the rule. He WAS qualified, he loved his subject, he taught well and to my knowledge, he maintained control without resorting to violence. I can imagine that there was some conflict there, but would he have been sent packing for this? It is hard to imagine that they could pin anything on him, so my guess was that it was his personal choice to leave....maybe he'd seen too much for his own comfort. If he was asked to leave then it only reflects badly on the school administration, and not WR himself.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:47 pm

Alban wrote:I think most of us are hoping that those days are over. If they're not, then there are laws being broken as society has since seen fit to legislate for the protection of children in schools.

Which laws are being broken?
Is the influence of the Ses on St. James illegal?

Alban wrote:I think it is right that you are questioning the suitability to teach, Gadfly..... I think it would be fair to assume that David Boddy would not be considered for a similar position in a state-run school.

Ah, but surely it one's position in the Ses that governs one's suitability for a position in St. James. Why else was Mr. Boddy chosen over other, qualified, aplicants from within St. James who were also in Ses.

Alban wrote:...I can imagine that there was some conflict there, but would he have been sent packing for this? It is hard to imagine that they could pin anything on him, so my guess was that it was his personal choice to leave....maybe he'd seen too much for his own comfort. If he was asked to leave then it only reflects badly on the school administration, and not WR himself.

Will Rasmussen was told in private meetings with Mr. Debenham that his "position was untenable". He was head of Classics!
His 'voluntary' departure was a result of this pressure.
I don't know if there were any more instances like this which helped to push him out.

gadflysdreams

To Alban

Postby gadflysdreams » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:51 pm

I suspect you're right about Mr. Rasmussen possibly having seen enough of education by force; but the point I was making is that his departure from the teaching staff of st james also had something to do with the fact that he had definitely chosen to depart from this ses - first. how does the law stand on that?[/i]

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:24 am

Alban wrote:As for Will Rasmussen ... to my knowledge, he maintained control without resorting to violence.

I'm afraid this is not at all true. Will Rasmussen frequently resorted to corporal punishment, either with his hands or with a plimsole. He did not show the slightest reluctance to using these for trivial misbehaviour. When he used the plimsole he would put red chalk on it so that everyone else could see you had been punished.

Nor did he indicate he had any problem with Debenham's use of the cane. In fact he would tell stories about how, back in the States, if he misbehaved his father would tell him to 'fetch a switch from the yard'.

I have no knowledge of 'Razz' for the last two decades, and while I suppose it's possible he repented and recanted, let's not kid ourselves: he was as fully implicated in the violence of the 70s and 80s as any other teacher there.

I never thought he was as psychopathic as Lacey, or as quick to anger as Russell, but he deserves just as much condemnation.

adrasteia

Re: To Alban

Postby adrasteia » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:45 pm

gadflysdreams wrote:I suspect you're right about Mr. Rasmussen possibly having seen enough of education by force; but the point I was making is that his departure from the teaching staff of st james also had something to do with the fact that he had definitely chosen to depart from this ses - first...i]

I cannot see that St. James will ever loose the influence of the Ses. They are far too deeply entangled.
Mr. Boddy wishes that they become separate organisations that can stand alone, but his appointment has bound them closer together than ever.
Maybe this is a situation that can never really become resolved.

Suggestion

Re: Debenham following MacClaren's Orders

Postby Suggestion » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:37 pm

gadflysdreams wrote:Has Boddy ever been a teacher?

I don't know but he has a background in political lobbying with some interesting incidents down the years, as a clippings search will testify.

I still feel we need to hit them hard and show parents of TODAY'S pupils the shameful history of cowardly, abusive teachers at the schools.

We should contact former teachers as well as former pupils. Dr Charles Guttmann (non-SES German teacher from the late 1980s at St James) would be particularly explosive.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:23 pm

Suggestion wrote:
gadflysdreams wrote:Has Boddy ever been a teacher?

I don't know but he has a background in political lobbying with some interesting incidents down the years, as a clippings search will testify.

I think the question may have been retorical? But he has certainly never been a teacher and as far as I know has never been trained as one.

Suggestion wrote:We should contact former teachers as well as former pupils. Dr Charles Guttmann (non-SES German teacher from the late 1980s at St James) would be particularly explosive.

Was he treated badly? What's his story?

If you do any of your own lobbying, good luck with it!
I'm afraid I won't be able to help, much as I'd love to.

Alban

Postby Alban » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:04 pm

adrasteia wrote:
Alban wrote:I think most of us are hoping that those days are over. If they're not, then there are laws being broken as society has since seen fit to legislate for the protection of children in schools.

Which laws are being broken?

Do I really have to spell it out?......the laws relating to the punishment of children

gadflysdreams wrote:I suspect you're right about Mr. Rasmussen possibly having seen enough of education by force; but the point I was making is that his departure from the teaching staff of st james also had something to do with the fact that he had definitely chosen to depart from this ses - first. how does the law stand on that?

I suspect he could have claimed unfair dismissal.

Daffy wrote:I'm afraid this is not at all true. Will Rasmussen frequently resorted to corporal punishment, either with his hands or with a plimsole. He did not show the slightest reluctance to using these for trivial misbehaviour. When he used the plimsole he would put red chalk on it so that everyone else could see you had been punished.

Nor did he indicate he had any problem with Debenham's use of the cane. In fact he would tell stories about how, back in the States, if he misbehaved his father would tell him to 'fetch a switch from the yard'.

I have no knowledge of 'Razz' for the last two decades, and while I suppose it's possible he repented and recanted, let's not kid ourselves: he was as fully implicated in the violence of the 70s and 80s as any other teacher there.

That's a shame as he was always one of the better teachers in my experience - maybe he changed his ways for the worse when he migrated to St James.

As regards teaching qualifications, it would be very interesting to see a straw poll of people teaching in St James' who do and don't have the most basic teaching qualification. I don't remember anyone having it in St Vedast.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:26 am

gadflysdreams wrote:Does anyone really suppose that those days are over? Does anyone really believe that Boddy's appointment as headmaster has nothing to do with similar orders from Lambie?...

adrasteia wrote:Which laws are being broken?

Do I really have to spell it out?......the laws relating to the punishment of children

That's not quite what I was getting at.
Gadfly questioned whether in today's St. James, the Heirachy is much the same as it always was- the orders coming from the head of Ses through the Head Teachers.
You seemed to imply there were Laws which rendered this influence illegal, I was just interested to know what they were!
I think it is fair to say that St. James now stick very closely to the Laws regarding child protection and the guidlines for punishment etc.
I am aware this has not always been the case.

Alban wrote:
gadflysdreams wrote:I suspect you're right about Mr. Rasmussen possibly having seen enough of education by force; but the point I was making is that his departure from the teaching staff of st james also had something to do with the fact that he had definitely chosen to depart from this ses - first. how does the law stand on that?

But he wasn't formally dismissed.

Abel Holzing

Postby Abel Holzing » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:29 pm

adrasteia wrote:
Alban wrote:

But he wasn't formally dismissed.

If what is being insinuated here by some is true, this may well be a case of "constructive dismissal". However, does anybody actually know anything for certain, or are we just gossiping?

AH

Return to “St James and St Vedast”