Welcome to new server and What went wrong?

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
mgormez

Welcome to new server and What went wrong?

Postby mgormez » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:41 pm

[this thread is about the 2nd move. in the meantime there's been a 3rd]

I hope this is the last time I have to welcome you on the new board, for all our sakes :-)

A little rundown

A whole lot of things went wrong after the move, ranging from extremely slow DNS propagation to a dying server. While UK people could already access the site, Dutch and Germans couldn't and I don't think they could in Australia either. I only could using direct access via the IP number.

And then just when I had mailed out the temporary new location to the registered members, the new server to which we had moved started to die on us and the files got corrupted, it became a unrecoverable mess. My tech contact has worked really hard and tried his best but it was just a foregone death of the server. Even the message board and backup I had made were corrupted.

Now we have to start fresh with the latest good backup I had and that one was made on the day I locked the message board on the old server, on 21 April 04. So we miss a couple of postings. My apologies but there was just nothing that could be done anymore.

Right now I think I will wait a day before I mail out that http://forum.whyaretheydead.net works again, fearful that this server might also die under our hands and everyone loses their patience with me.
Last edited by mgormez on Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Gormez

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:44 pm

As I had mentioned, I would use a new colour scheme for the new board so it was clear you had reached it's new home. Someone posted that they liked this more than the older wood/brown colour scheme.

What do you like more, this one or the previous colours?
Mike Gormez

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:12 am

Mike - i already said in another thread (ooh, saying something "offtopic" - naughty me *g*) that I much preferred the new colour. :)

and yes re Australia not being able to access the site - I just got error messages for many days. This is the first time I've found it up and running.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:54 am

ADG, I knew someone had said s/he prefered the new colours but I couldn't remember who. That posting of yours and my reply were nuked by the corrupt database.

I just have done another mass-mail telling that the board is up for real.
Mike Gormez

Meikl

Postby Meikl » Tue May 11, 2004 10:25 pm

Hi,
good to see you up and running again. I thought the freemasons had zapped you. Is that really Bob up there with the penguin?

Peace
Meikl

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri May 14, 2004 11:45 am

Yeah, that's Bob all right, protecthing us against spammers, penguin abusers and drivers of Pinto's :bday:

By the way; I had no access to the Internet for a few days.
Mike Gormez

DanS

time

Postby DanS » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:14 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for creating this wonderful site/forum which is changing lives for the better and creating links for people.

One small observation - the 'clock' is about 5 hours ahead of actual time which always makes me think I am in a time warp.

Dan

mgormez

Re: time

Postby mgormez » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:41 pm

DanS wrote:Hi Mike, thanks for creating this wonderful site/forum which is changing lives for the better and creating links for people.

One small observation - the 'clock' is about 5 hours ahead of actual time which always makes me think I am in a time warp.

Thanks Dan. Appreciated.

Concerning the clock, that time is set to correspondend with the location of the system this site is hosted on, which is the US East coast (GMT + 6 hours is the current setting). All other locations around the world have this off-time you describe. Little I can do about that. Because when I set it to UK time it will still be off for me or down-under.
Mike Gormez

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:14 am

mgormez wrote:Concerning the clock, that time is set to correspondend with the location of the system this site is hosted on, which is the US East coast (GMT + 6 hours is the current setting). All other locations around the world have this off-time you describe. Little I can do about that. Because when I set it to UK time it will still be off for me or down-under.

GMT+6 hours suggests Asia/the Far East rather than the US, unless there's been a big earthquake recently :) !

Mike, as you are using phpBB you should be able to select your preferred time zone in Administration Panel > Configuration. Of course, that won't help people who aren't in the time zone you choose :)

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:05 pm

Click on 'Profile' at the top, then scroll down to 'Timezone' and enter your correct setting there depending on where you are in the world. For example London is GMT + 1 Hour. Problem solved!

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:GMT+6 hours suggests Asia/the Far East rather than the US, unless there's been a big earthquake recently :) !

Lol!! You're so right! It never crossed my mind.

Anonymous wrote:Mike, as you are using phpBB you should be able to select your preferred time zone in Administration Panel > Configuration. Of course, that won't help people who aren't in the time zone you choose :)

That's righ, it won't. However Matthew gave good advice, as indeed the program allows registered users to set the time to their own time zone.

I'll set the overal time to GMT.
Mike Gormez

Re: Welcome to new server and What went wrong?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:47 am

Suggestion: since this thread relates to the previous move, maybe it should now be unstickied?

mgormez

Re: Welcome to new server and What went wrong?

Postby mgormez » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:Suggestion: since this thread relates to the previous move, maybe it should now be unstickied?

Yah, I will. We can also delete it if there's no objection.
Mike Gormez

Return to “Housekeeping”