Art in Action

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
bonsai

Art in Action

Postby bonsai » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 am

Only found this today but there was an article in the times about Art in Action and the SES.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 294600.ece

Bonsai

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Nice find! It's ironic that the Times used to be the SES's favoured newspaper. Shame the article fizzles out so suddenly, though.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 am

I do find it interesting just how PC the article is. Not prepared to put an angle and risk offending anyone.

The Times wrote:But the SES's methods of teaching its initiates and retaining their loyalties have also prompted charges that it is a kind of cult. I know people who have found the SES to be a helpful and entirely benign influence on their lives; and others who have encountered it and found it weird.

The few comments at the bottom of the article are quite interesting too. I particularly like the comment that John Ward from Brecon makes:
In general the quality of art on display is mundane.

Certainly none of the art is revolutionary and very little of it is likely to be challenging. The closer you look at Art in Action though more you realise they (the SES) are really quite selective about who they let demonstrate an there is often a religious/philosophical/ancient angle or undercurrent to the show.

I like Rosemary's comment too.
SES makes little enough money from Art in Action. The article suggests that the School's connection with it is 'unexpected'. How so? It has been running it for the last thirty years.

Rosemary, London,

The thing is I can well believe that a lot of people, both demonstrators and visitors alike, may have been to Art in Action many times. They may even have been aware that it is run by the SES but probably have not questioned who or what the SES is. I find it amusing that apologists for the SES can think that just because the organisation has existed for the time it has that either everyone is aware of it and that its time in existence means it shouldn't be questioned or challenged.

The SES does have an agenda in putting on Art in Action which is to bring the best of art to the masses. The thing is that best is a highly subjective word. To quote the Art in Action website directly it has as one of its aims.

Art in Action website wrote:To present high standards of artistic skill and creative design.

Bonsai

Pink womble

Re: Art in Action

Postby Pink womble » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 pm

I went to Art in Action this year for the first time in about 8+ years and having got past the, in some places very overt, religious aspect, it was actually quite a fun day! The art definitely isn't 'the best', but then I'm happy to spend a wet afternoon wandering around a little art gallery and that isn't 'the best' either. What is more unusual is the chance to watch art being produced. Fortunately I'm sufficiently long gone from SES so that I got looks of semi-recognition rather than people coming up to talk to me. My partner (who was virtually born an atheist!) was also fascinated to get a glimpse into the weird world of the school.

Have to say, if I lived in Oxford I'd probably go back next year! But then I think I can go and appreciate the art and enjoy the artists at work, rather than getting sucked into the philosophy and ritual that's behind it.

One interesting footnote is that we came by public transport and got chatting to the SES drivers of the courtesy cars to and from the bus stop. They were saying the school is not making much money out of art in action and visitor numbers are down. The event was also far smaller than when I was last there. We'll see if it survives I guess.

Open Mind

Re: Art in Action

Postby Open Mind » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Jeremy Sinclair is the Organiser of Art in Action. He has been Chairman of Saatchi & Saatchi in his time and a Partner in M & C Saatchi. Although he produced advertising on behalf of the Tory Party against the Labour Party, he was appointed in Oct 2007 as a Director of the Tony Blair Faith Foundation and is now described as a Trustee. He lists as one of his interests Spiritualism!!!

Return to “General discussion of SES”