Lucca Leadership Trust

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Goblinboy

Lucca Leadership Trust

Postby Goblinboy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:58 am

"Sandra's" spray (see the mattstollar thread) could use a judicious edit, but has some interesting insights.

The posting "outs" another SES initiative - the Lucca Leadership Trust.

sandra wrote:Now compare that to what gets taught on a Lucca Leadership Weekend.(a humanitarian, altruistic organization set up by Mr Boddy, new headmaster of St James) and there is a great difference. The ethos that the Lucca organization has IS non prescriptive, encourages self awareness, kindness towards others and general high thinking.
But he doesn't seem to have the guts to give the children the same benefit of the doubt and let them find things out for themselves.

A two-minute online review of the organisation's websites shows that its governance appears to be dominated by SES-related people. See
http://www.luccaleadership.org/index.php?id=19
and
http://www.luccaleadership.ie/about.htm
for the Irish experience.

The titles and content of the "events" resonate with SES language. It's quite possibly the same old SES doctrine dressed up in more attractive format . But I'm prepared to be shown otherwise. Yet it's hard not to imagine the initiative intended, in part, as a recruiting exercise, given the narrow selection of the governing bodies.

The SES appears to be coy about exposing its links with the Trust. For example, David and Tim Boddy are trustees, but there's no indication of their SES involvement in their introduction, beyond David Boddy's claim of travelling "the globe lecturing in Advaita philosophy". Unless the reader is familiar with SES or School of Philosophy terminology, the relationship between the organisations is not apparent. For example, nearly all office bearers are either alumni of SES schools, have taught in them, raised funds for them, "lectured in Advaita philosophy", "attend weekly philosophy classes", participated in "Art in Essence", etc. But no office holder’s bio actually claims membership of the SES – the common thread that appears to unite these people.

It's refreshing, however, to see an implicit admission that the SES "philosophy" is Advaita (ie faith-based, essentially Hindu), and not general philosophy. Pity they still don't tell you this on their press ads and school information in Australia.

One can only speculate as to why the Lucca Leadership Trust doesn’t make it’s connection with the SES clear. An organisation that actually follows its espoused values (which include speaking truthfully) is a rare and courageous thing. Such an organisation would attract my admiration, rather than my scepticism.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:30 am

and are the flyers in the UK all that different? Remember Bella write that the SES websites made it plain what they were all about - but ONLY if you were totally au fait with SES/SOP terminology.

And I repeat - while the Sydney SOP school has links to the SOP that one could (at a stretch) make a connection between the school and the SES, the Melbourne school(like the Brit schools) is remarkably coy.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:30 am

a different guest wrote:Remember Bella write that the SES websites made it plain what they were all about - but ONLY if you were totally au fait with SES/SOP terminology.

Yes. I wonder why Bella chooses to be silent, after a period of active participation on this board.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:31 am

she never came back after the board went down for a week before the move - I just figured she never found it again. But perhaps I am being too niaive here?

Sandra

Postby Sandra » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Hiya....I can only give my opinion because I went on one of the weekends.....However....the danger perhaps would be getting sucked into it. It is watered down S.E.S stuff. However that for me makes it stronger.
Take out the subjugation of women and the cult ethos.....
in many ways the S.E.S is sound.

Sandra

Postby Sandra » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:52 pm

Hey Goblinboy, I know you don't I, we had a whisky the other night.
Don't worry no one knows when and where we had it.
:evilbat:

Not goblinboy

Postby Not goblinboy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:04 pm

I had a whisky with you the other night, Sandra

I am not goblinboy, I use a different sign in - I might tell you someday.

I have been laughing at what you're writing, much of it rubbish as we discussed the other night and much of it excellent, incisive, witty and instinctive.

Keep up the good work.

Goblinboy

Postby Goblinboy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:29 am

Sandra wrote:Hey Goblinboy, I know you don't I, we had a whisky the other night.
Don't worry no one knows when and where we had it.
:evilbat:

Sandra,

No you don't. But we can still be friends.

I'm occasionally in the UK (where I suspect you are), but not in the past few weeks, so it must have been my doppelganger.

And whisky and I haven't been compatible for some time.

GB

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:41 am

a different guest wrote:she never came back after the board went down for a week before the move - I just figured she never found it again. But perhaps I am being too niaive here?

The board is again on the old address so that shouldn't be a problem. Besides my SES pages link to this board quite prominent and those pages rank high in Google. I think she has other things to attend to.
Mike Gormez

Return to “General discussion of SES”